Remember two weeks ago, when I posted about Leap Day, and said that I wished Leap Day was a truly extra day where we didn’t have to go to work and stuff?
Well…be careful what you wish for.
Everything is shutting down due to coronavirus concerns. Churches. Movie theaters. Restaurants. What I mean to say is, we’re all heading into a quarantine. Which may be the closest thing to snagging extra days that we’ve ever experienced.
I’m not really sure how to do a quarantine well. Which may sound weird, since I am literally a writer, so “quarantine life” is not very different from “regular life.” But I’ve always had a tendency to self-isolate to the point of getting depressed. Which means I have to counter that by forcing myself to get out a lot.
So now I’m going way stir crazy. What can I do about it? Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
- Yesterday I basically didn’t look at the Internet once, except to post an Instagram story. That was super helpful, because I can’t. stop. looking. at. horrifying. news. And I just needed a brain detox.
- Today I went to the coast. I think I need to make sure and get outside a LOT, which, thank God we have nice weather. March can be a beast some years.
- A week ago I called a friend, and I think I just need to do that more.
- I’m sending out a bunch of postcards to Instagram followers.
- I bought a camera! Those poor Amazon workers. I’m sure they’re flooded with work right now, and I really, really hope they stay healthy. But I’ve been wanting to get back into video for a long time, and now I can finally start.
- Jenny and I are talking about starting a podcast called “Quarantined with Jenny and Emily.” We’ll see how that goes. She is in the middle of both becoming an online student AND an online teacher, so she’s got a number of things heaped onto her plate. But we did a trial run and had tons of fun, so we think you’d enjoy it too.
Any more ideas? Bring them on!
Finally, stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay home/away from other people. We’ll get through this together by staying apart!