A Never-Ending Day

I went to bed at midnight. Just as I was about to go to sleep, I heard a faint sound.

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

It sounded like getting a text message when your phone is on vibrate. Oh well. I started to fall asleep.

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

The faint buzzing woke me up. I tried to fall asleep again.

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

And suddenly I was wide awake. I tried pulling the covers over my head.

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

This went on for an hour. I kid you not. I found my cell phone and turned the sound all the way off, but it made no difference. So finally, I got up and went to sleep on the couch in Amy’s room.

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

I went downstairs, and turned off the sound on my parent’s cell phones and the downstairs computer.

Bzzzt. Bzzzt. Bzzzt.

At this point I had only one option left: I woke Mom up. We searched for the source of the sound. We searched the downstairs. We searched Jenny’s room, shining a flashlight around and turning off her alarm clock and royally annoying her.

We went into Steven’s room, and shined the flashlight around. Suddenly, from the floor, came the dreaded sound, louder than I’d heard it all night.


“That’s it! That’s it!” I yelled, diving for the phone.

Steven grabbed it before I did and turned the notification off. He was also royally annoyed. But I went to bed and slept in peace until the next morning when his cell phone alarm clock, still on vibrate and still on the floor, woke me up. My room isn’t even next to his. I had no idea vibrating phones can be felt throughout the whole house if they are left on the floor, but they can.

I got up. Jenny had no memory of us searching her room. Steven remembered, and was still annoyed.

I went to college and learned about 7’th chords and the Amastad. I had a phone conversation about sewing 3D square corners. Then I got in my car to go home, and heard a weird sound.

Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

What is this, weird-repatitive-sounds-with-no-known-source day? I pushed and pulled buttons in my car trying to make it stop, to no avail. So I called my dad. Just as he answered the phone, I twisted a knob that made the ticking stop.

“Hello,” said my dad.

“Hey dad. Oh. It stopped. Sorry, I got in my car and there was this weird ticking noise, but I turned my lights off and it stopped, so I guess I don’t need you. Bye.”

“Wait. Does your car start?” asked my dad.

I turned the key. The car did not start.

“No,” I said.

“Well I need to go, it’s PE time,” said Dad. He hung up.

Um…thanks for your help? Ha ha.

I called Gospel Echoes. “Hi,” I said, “My car battery is dead. Can you come jump it for me?”

So Jamie and Cierra came to rescue me. I stood on top of my car so they could see where I was in the parking lot. Cierra kept saying, “I can’t believe you stood on top of your car!” Which was funny, because when I did it didn’t occur to me that this was a strange practice. I enjoyed scanning the vast parking lots from my vantage point, and was sorry to get down.

Well the jumper cables were rusty and we couldn’t even put my car into neutral to push it out of the parking space, but that was all fixed when the girl in the car next to mine showed up. Turned out she had non-rusty jumper cables in her trunk. Crisis averted.

I went home and faced a new crisis.

It’s like this: I was in charge of a baby shower today. I have never been in charge of a baby shower before. It was fine, because I delegated out most of the work, but I left one task to myself: games.

For one game, I planned to freeze tiny polly pocket dolls (representing babies) in ice cubes (representing…the womb I guess?). The object of the game would be to “birth” a doll by getting it out of an ice cube as fast as possible.

While I was at college, before I knew that my battery was dead, I realized that I had never frozen the babies and I had better get home and do so or else they wouldn’t be completely frozen by the time we left for the shower. So by the time I did get home, I was a little frantic.

Well I couldn’t find ice cube trays, and I couldn’t find polly pocket dolls, and my mom wouldn’t answer her cell phone. I collapsed on the couch in a fit of despair, and then rose to the occasion and froze baby-animal-shaped buttons in a pill dispenser.


Grandma came over for dinner. I told her the story of the buzzing sound in the night.

Me: And then, about every five minutes, I heard this buzzing sound…

Grandma: In your head?

Yes. Thanks for that. I PROMISE my mom heard it too, okay?

The baby shower in the evening went off without a hitch, except for one thing: It is very very difficult to get ice cubes out of pill dispersers.

When the baby shower was over, and everything was cleaned up, I went home. Then I thought, “tomorrow is Saturday. If I want to I can stay up late researching the Petraeus scandal.”

So I did.

Then I thought, “I should blog.”

So I did.


One response to “A Never-Ending Day

  1. I laughed out loud.
    On TOP of your car?? LOL!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s